Professional dancer and passionate teacher from South Yorkshire!

Wednesday 5 April 2017

Reflecting on my use of Social Media & Web Communications

After reading Victoria's recent blog and being continually advised to keep up our online communications, I thought it would beneficial to reflect on my use of social media and web communications - particularly as we are approaching the end of the course.




Skype: this has been a blessing in regards to attending campus sessions when I've been away on tour, virtual lectures, coffee shop sessions and meeting with my SIGS and tutors. I personally haven't used Skype as a researcher in order to conduct interviews but it has allowed me to participate in other people's projects with ease. I seem to have used Skype for the more formal, academic purposes.

http://meganlouch.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/monday-6th-february.html?m=1

http://meganlouch.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/skype-session-with-paula.html?m=1

http://meganlouch.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/piloting-interview-chloe-west-bapp.html?m=1



YouTube: I have used this more as a research tool. Particularly for my chosen artefact! It is also a great learning tool and tool for inspiration.

http://meganlouch.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/artefact-research.html?m=1



WhatsApp: this is probably the form I am most active on in regards to communication and connectivisim. We have a work group on which all the work and social information is displayed. It has allowed me to converse with SIGS via audio messages when we've not been able to align schedules for a phone or Skype conversation; as well as schedule/make alterations to research activities quickly. Audio messages work much better than written messages because you can still hear the tone of voice etc and interpret what is being said more truthfully.




Facebook: I've always been an avid Facebook user having 2 separate pages, one for personal use and one for professional. I do post work related information on my personal one but never the other way around. I have been much more aware of ethics and confidentiality in relation to this form of social media since commencing this course. I definitely think more about what I post before doing so now. We've had a specific BAPP Facebook group for our particular intake of students throughout the course which has been really handy to share concerns and ask for help/information. I've posted assessment queries on there, surveys, term dates and so on. I've also used the messenger device to connect with my SIGS on a more informal level. Facebook has been a great way to advertise myself as a performer, gain extra teaching work, display some of my own work and maintain connections with people who I've met along my professional and academic journeys.

https://m.facebook.com/megan.rebecca.louch/







Instagram: I love Instagram because of how visual it is. A picture/video can say so much more than words sometimes and it has been a great platform for my work as well as personal interests. I think you often feel a stronger connection to images so it has also been great to follow people I admire and work with. I often share interesting places I've been to on tour because you can take photos and tag the location. That way others heading out in the round have good recommendations for places to go.

http://meganlouch.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/sigs-and-cake.html?m=1






Google+: I had no idea this existed prior to starting this course and creating our blogs. It has made it so easy to share my own work and follow other people's via the online communities.



Blogspot: finally the most important to me as a student. This has facilitated my journey and allowed others to follow it in depth. It has been useful as an online log of my work throughout and been a great reference, appendix and reminder of what I have experienced, achieved and learned along the way. It has also been an amazing reflective tool as well as a platform to share anything I feel may be of interest to my fellow peers e.g. Dance East, How to analyse literature, la la land

http://meganlouch.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/dance-east-check-it-out.html?m=1

http://meganlouch.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/help-how-do-i-go-about-analysis.html?m=1

http://meganlouch.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/la-la-land-what-did-you-think.html?m=1






I also wanted to point out how amazing AIR DROP has been using 3 different apple devices. Having an iPad and an iPhone has made studying whilst being on tour and having a back pack everyday much easier and lighter. I have used these devices for blogging, taking pictures, audio recording, video recording and so on. The apple tool that is Air Drop has been amazing for transferring data and information across devices instantly and backing everything up.

No comments:

Post a Comment