Professional dancer and passionate teacher from South Yorkshire!

Sunday 23 April 2017

My last day at Dirty Dancing: The end of an era!

22/4/17 - Truro, Cornwall

Well I did not anticipate being so emotional. My boyfriend often calls me "the ice queen" because I am not the best at displaying my feelings but I can't explain how happy and sad I felt at the same time today.

I have spent the last year working on one of my dream shows, I have graced the stage as a lead role and played in the West End. I have also worked with some of the most amazing people I have ever had the pleasure of working with in my career to date!

I was completely overwhelmed by the gorgeous cards, presents and kind words I received. I laughed and I cried, and I definitely felt the love (Cohen 2010) - the emotion that drives the making of theatre, the watching of it, as well as the collaborations and relationships within it. It made me realise first hand how important and integral the people and relationships you form are in the making of a production, as well as with your individual experience of it. I only hope the interpersonal skills I have developed during inquiry will aid toward the forming of such connections in my next community of practice (Lave & Wenger 1991).

It was definitely a weird one because I was the only one leaving on this day; but  I cannot wait to watch my friends perform in Milton Keynes and show my support to them and the production as a whole.

My last week was made extra special by staying in beautiful digs on the coast, by the sunny weather and by having my boyfriend there to watch my final show - my number 1 fan and support network! (Crisp & Turner 2007). I also engaged in social activities - we  went for cocktails on the Thursday evening and for Cornish cream tea before work on Friday, and couldn't believe the turn out!

I am so sad to leave the show and the people at Dirty Dancing but it's time for a break from life on the road. I pray to the 'gods of the theatre' that I cross paths with Dirty Dancing and my wonderful colleagues again in the near future. It has truly been a  special experience from start to finish and I am eternally grateful.









No comments:

Post a Comment