Professional dancer and passionate teacher from South Yorkshire!

Wednesday 15 March 2017

"Thinking creatively for your Professional Inquiry." Module 3 Skype

Session led by: Paula Nottingham
Participants: Megan Louch & Lauren Hoskins

We began the session by looking at an image Paula had displayed. The task Was to try and figure out what it was showing us.....

Both Lauren and I could see what we thought was a landscape image of mountains and sky. I could then make out a sculpture of a face looking to the right. Paula then revealed it was actually the interior of a bowl she had. This demonstrates how different perspectives and understandings can be interpreted from the same thing.

Paula's Tips:


  1. When attempting analysis, try voicing to your SIG's what you have learned or understandings you have come to from literature/data. That way you can see if they can make sense of it as an audience or help you to communicate your findings better. 
  2. Drafts, drafts and more drafts.
  3. Look for connections and patterns within literature and data. 
  4. Re-read the handbook and readers.
  5. The inquiry should be "the voice of the artist." i.e. What did Megan think?


Paula and I had spoken the day before about 'social networking theory' in relation to my inquiry. Looking at relationships and interpersonal skills as interdisciplinary within a musical theatre production. I have also chosen to look further into 'organisational theory' after reading "The future is interdisciplinary" (Condee, F. W. 2004) I spoke briefly with Paula about my practice as an organisation. We came to the conclusion that a Musical Theatre production is:


  • A temporary organisation - short contracts
  • Less opportunity to build on interpersonal and thus interdisciplinary skills
  • Some people may know each other from before, some may not know anyone
  • Links to Lave and Wenger's theory about entering the circles and making our way into the community of practice from outside


I also discovered from this literature, Richard Wagner's concept of Gesamtkunstwerk - which means 'total work of art' and something I additionally will be looking into further.

"all of the senses, acting in harmony, are awakened and lead to more profound appreciation and experience. "
(Wolfman, U. 2013. Online at:
http://www.interlude.hk/front/richard-wagners-concept-of-the-gesamtkunstwerk/) 


It was good to reasses where we thought we were in regards to the 5 stages of inquiry from reader 7.

From such difficult schedules and problems organising activities due to holidays, day offs, work complications, hours etc - stage 3, DATA, had taken priority in my inquiry process. Althouh I haven't finished collecting data I am now going back to stage 2, LITERATURE, and having small attempts at stage 4 - ANALYSIS. I'm combongin 3 stages and hoping to find links/intertwining of ideas as I progress through.

On one of the slides, Paula has posted this quotation:

"Emersing yourself in a domain that you truly love will allow the foundations for creativity to be in place."

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

This resonated with me after discovering how love and passion plays a big part in Musical Theatre and its practitioners. This from reading Cohen's "Working together in theatre" in which he discussed amateur dramatics and how the word 'amateur' comes from the French word meaning lover. I'm actually going to watch my friend in an amateur production of 'Spamalot' tonight and i can't wait! It's in a theatre and with a society I grew up with so it will be a really nice feeling being in the audience and showing my support. Enjoyment and passion is also evident from interviewing participants.

"I always enjoyed showing off"
(Dance captain)

"You have to enjoy it and put in 100%"
(Head of sound)

"I just loved all the lights and the colours"
(Head of sound)

"I loved it so much and the rest is history"
(Head of wigs)

Therefore, I feel that  love and enjoyment are key character qualities from individuals when discussing the creative success of a production in relation to one of my inquiry questions:

"What interdisciplinary skills should I possess as a dancer in order to impact positively on the creative success of a production? 

No comments:

Post a Comment