Professional dancer and passionate teacher from South Yorkshire!

Tuesday 28 March 2017

Audition day!

Dirty Dancing auditions
Monday 27th March - Pineapple Studios


Today I assisted the dance captain/associate choreographer during the auditions. It was so interesting to be on the other side of things and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I have written a personal journal on the day which I intend to use as part of my research.

The process made me realise several things but one of the most impactful was how as performers we put this huge amount of pressure on ourselves; whether it's with our delivery, outfit choices, song choices etc. In actual fact the panel are human beings theirselves - at the end of the day, they are totally relaxed and just want to find great people for the job. I hope this puts me at ease in future when auditioning myself an improves my success rate. Nerves often get the better of me, particularly during vocal calls. The more relaxed I am and the more I enjoy the process, the better I perform so hopefully having experienced the other side of things helps.

Another thing I came to realise was just how many factors and opinions are involved during the selection process. In the past, if I haven't managed to get through a round or get the job, I have automatically thought that I'm not good enough in regards to my dancing/singing/acting ability. Hopefully in future, I will take things less personally and be able to move forward with the same amount of confidence.

I discovered throughout the auditions how much I loved teaching and helping to get the best out of others. I enjoyed being on the creative side so much and the day has definitely inspired me to work towards dance captain and associate roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment