Professional dancer and passionate teacher from South Yorkshire!

Thursday 23 March 2017

Artefact research!

I am really interested in doing a behind the scenes vlog (a video blog) in order to document and present my findings, this to both my BAPP community and working company. 

Why?

I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of such an iconic production and am one of few to experience it first hand, therefore i feel it would be invaluable to give my BAPP community an insight into the putting on of such a production. 

I also did a survey to find out which methods of presentation my chosen audience are most interested in and connect with the most: https://meganlouch.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/professional-artefact-ideas.html






I asked these questions to both of my target audiences: the BAPP community and my work colleagues. You can see from the first set of results, that over a third of people would be most interested in seeing a film and over another third would be most interested in a performance. From the second set of results you can see that half the number of people are most used to seeing a performance in the work place. From this I can conclude that a visual form of artefact would be most appropriate and identifying with my audience and that a film would be something interesting, yet a little different for them.

In reference to Kolb's learning theory (1974) and Gardner's multiple intelligence (1999); artistic people tend to be 'Diverging learners' and tend to be strong in regards to musical, kinaesthetic and spatial intelligence.




Diverging learners are "...interested in people, tend to be imaginative and emotional, and tend to be strong in the arts. People with the diverging style prefer to work in groups, to listen with an open mind and to receive personal feedback." (McLeod 2010. Online)

The stated intelligences are also creative, practical and visual styles. This is why I think a vlog would be appropriate. I also hope to engage in a group activity at the end of my artefact with work colleagues; not only to give something back to my participants/community of practice (Lave & Wenger 1991)but to engage in participation (Reader 1) by doing something practical together.

After doing some research, I discovered that vlogging is a very current method of journalling (reader 2) and one that enables 'connectivism' (reader 3). Paula recommended this blog (New Musical Theatre) where I found the post "#musicaltube: The top 7 Broadway.com backstage vlogs" (Annab 2016)


"The internet provides us with a connection like no other to all things musical theatre. Especially in recent years, videos have become a popular method of documenting what life is really like in the theatre world…"

"Video, as a medium, is something that is rapidly changing the world of musical theatre, and theatre in general. The opportunity to be see what it takes to be a part of game-changing musicals.... not only enhance the theatre-going experience but also remind us that theatre is an art form larger than ourselves." 

"They connect theatre lovers everywhere and remind all of us dreamers that although the road to professional theatre is hard, it is not impossible."


After looking through this blog I made some notes on key points for a successful vlog/vlogger:

~ Dynamic, charm, genuine
~ Entertaining cameos
~ Allow audience in to fittings/warm ups/set
~ Show talent
~ Make the audience a part of it
~ Reveal a little of how it gets put into the stage


I then went on to check out BROADWAY.COM on YouTube and watched various 'behind the scenes vlogs' including "I Dream of Genie" (Aladdin 2014) and "Fly Girl" (Wicked 2013). Firstly just check out how many views and subscribers they've got!





It just goes to show how many people these backstage vlogs are connecting with and reaching; be it professionals, students, auditionees, audiences, fans.


From watching the above I noticed various things that seemed to work well:

  • Catch phrases
  • Themes
  • Subheadings stating people's roles when speaking
  • Music in the background
  • Very chatty and jokey approach 
  • Addressing direct to the camera when speaking, makes it engaging and people feel involved 
  • Home video style, more informal
  • End credits to acknowledge participants and referencing
  • Place yourself behind camera when talking to others
  • Participation from viewers in form of questions e.g. "Ask a genie" via twitter


Other things I noticed were that although each video lasted on average between 10-15minutes (the ideal time for my artefact), these backstage vlogs were done on a weekly basis and were spanned over several episodes. It makes me believe that I will need to be very concise and selective with footage. On the other hand, if I was as to conduct future inquiries or expand on my topic, the vlog would provide a great platform and starting point for presenting further findings - I could also create more episodes.

I realised what a great tool the 'selfie stick' can be for filming as it enables distance between myself and the camera as well as the ability to turn the camera both ways with ease.

Whilst conducting my activities I also experienced this but I did notice trouble in relation to sound and light. Working back stage, it is likely that you will experience interference from calls over the tannoy or dim lighting. I must schedule filming at times when best to avoid this.








No comments:

Post a Comment