Professional dancer and passionate teacher from South Yorkshire!

Wednesday 5 October 2016

Coffee shop Skype : Tuesday 4th October

Participants:
Adesola Akinleye - Course Leader (www.adesolaa.blogspot.co.uk)
Emma Fitchett - trained actress, currently teaching and tutoring (www.emmalouisefitchett.blogspot.co.uk)


One of the first pieces of advice we were given by Adesola and Paula on the initial orientation was to go through your feedback from the previous module before moving forward. So before this session I did exactly that.

Three key points that I'd like to focus on for module 2 are as follows:

1. Continue to develop the formal writing from your blog posts into the module 2 work. I feel like I didn't demonstrate this in my module 1 'critical reflection' as well as I could have because there was so much I had learnt and so much I wanted to say. Quantity seemed to override quality so I'd like to be more selective and specific when collating module 2 work in order to demonstrate in depth writing.
2. Continue to do one-on-one tutor sessions. I think we are so used to fending for ourselves in this industry because of competition perhaps or because you have to be so self motivated. However, I must remember that i am on a learning journey and tutors are there not only to help but to provoke ideas too. I feel that talking to my tutors more will guide me through the planning process and prevent me from going off on a tangent for example.
3. Continue linking to methods. Referencing and linking was probably the hardest part of the module for me to get to grasps with. It was so alien. I need to write as though the audience and assessor know zero about my subject. I know where I've got the information from but they don't.


Adesola's Advice:

"What would I have liked to know more about that I didn't at the time?"

"Be careful not to dwell on previous experience and what you already know. It is about moving forwards and learning new things."

"What will help me in the future?"

"It doesn't matter if it all goes wrong, it is about planning the inquiry - not doing it."

"It is about getting to know yourself."


Self discovery was a massive thing for me during this Skype session alone. I realised that I was continuing to reflect (Module 1) on previous experiences which in turn was giving quite a negative energy and an emotional attachment to my inquiry topics. With the help of Adesola, I understood that I was perhaps trying to expand on existing knowledge and help other people rather than looking to the future and what would actually help me. Categorising the modules really helped to make sense of their aims in my head:

Module 1 ---> reflection
Module 2 ---> moving forwards and planning
Module 3 ---> developing and analysing


It was really interesting speaking with Emma. From our initial conversation, it already feels like she is quite a self assured person with a very mature approach to her learning and experiences (both past and present) - even though she is only just commencing her studies. I was intrigued to hear how she "found her falling" in teaching - an "unconscious plan B". It was great to hear a little about her own experiences as a performer in the industry and how's she has now found more happiness through focussing on others and the genuine nature of children. She spoke briefly about some of the difficulties her students have such as autism and epilepsy and how she feels her background training as an actor has given her a more successful approach to teaching than some. We agreed that this is because we are used to being proactive and inclusive of everyone. Performers are often more accepting of differences and are used to adapting in difficult situations. We learn to work as part of an ensemble in which we interact and are seen as equals. Some teachers unfortunately shy away from things like epilepsy in order to reduce risk, where as a trained actor may have a more professional approach - "how can I change this to make it work?"

I've been so interested in mental health in relation to dancers and the touring environment. How can I use this interest to move forward and learn something new? Listening to Emma talk about how she helps children with difficulties grow in confidence and learn new skills made me wonder how dance can help adults with mental illness. How can performing arts/art therapy help adults with mental illness? 

I've also been interested in the skills and knowledge required across departments in a theatre environment. Adesola suggested something like: What should dancers know before coming into a musical theatre production? I'd like to look into this from varying perspectives/departments such as wigs, costume, sound, lights; and do so through interview or professional conversations - "Understanding other people's worlds in order to help me own" (Megan Louch, 2016). I hope this will show I'm interested and keen to continue developing as a practitioner, thus making me 'a good company member'. We spoke briefly about the value of this over talent and Adesola asked "What is 'the best'?" At school this was basically the ability to do what the teacher asked for or give the correct answer. In a working environment there is so much more to it than that such as time efficiency, work ethic, enthusiasm. I also hope the above will get me out there and incorporate 'networking' from module 1 and expand on my current 'circles'.






No comments:

Post a Comment