Professional dancer and passionate teacher from South Yorkshire!

Thursday 7 April 2016

My journal writing experience ✍🏻

Task 2b) Reflective writing: Exploring the different ways of recording a journal

Examples:

Description 
Initial reflection
Lists
Evaluation 
Graphs/charts/diagrams 
What if?
Another view

I've found that depending on what I have taken part it on or experienced on a particular day, depends on which method I find most successful or natural when journaling or reflecting.

"It is only by reflecting on an experience that we learn from it. We are only able to turn information into knowledge by understanding the idea." (Boud)

Auditions: What if?

What could've happened? (More often than not, I answer this negatively. Rather than looking at what could've gone wrong and didn't, I look at what could've gone better. I find that this can be a trait of a dancer- very self critical and always striving for perfection).

If I'd of had a different partner, been in a different group, worn different shoes; I may have danced better or stood a better chance. I could've fallen over like a girl in the previous slot and injured my self; thus putting myself out for 6 weeks. I could've better prepared myself, worn a different outfit, been more relaxed, sang a more appropriate song.

What would I love to happen?

I'd love to get the job. I'd love to get a cover. I'd love to be considered for dance captain. I'd love to be paid millions. I'd love it to lead to endless opportunities.

What would I hate to happen?

I'd hate to get cut. I'd hate to give a bad account of myself. I'd hate to get it but not be able to do it.

Auditions: Another view

I always try to do this to prevent being so hard on myself. I always think, what would I say to my friend if she had been cut for example? I'd say she did well to get as far as what she did. What would I say if they were waiting to hear? I'd say, try and forget about it because there's nothing you can do. What would I say if they thought they'd made a mistake? I'd probably say they covered it well, and the most important thing is that they carried on and it didn't look as bad as what it felt. It's always easier to give advice than take it, so I find using this form of reflection/journaling very useful.

Swing life: Step 1 - Graphs/Charts/Diagrams

This is my first time at being a 'proper' swing. I did do it for a short period of time on a previous job but I already knew the show. I was also leader of our Swing Project at college; but as good as it was to get an idea of the life of a swing, it wasn't completely a true reflection. I found that during rehearsals when i was learning several things and at speed (particularly being an on stage swing), drawing diagrams of people's positioning and arrows for entrances and exits etc was really useful. I carried a little notepad and pencil around with me constantly.

Swing life: Step 2 - Description


Then, once I had a bit of time at home or in the breaks, I would note down in much more detail. I'd write down each persons full track in its entirety. The choreography each individual did, their lines, their costume changes, the wings they entered from and so on.


Swing life: Step 3 - Lists

If I knew I was going on as a particular person for the first time, I would make a list of key things to remember. A summary of their entire track that I could refer to after each number - aka a 'cheat sheet' to myself and colleagues. I would also write a list post performance of anything that went wrong, points to address or flag up with ensemble members I may interact with etc. 


Training: Initial reflection

I do this more so after taking a class for the first time, but I always come out and either  way, consciously or subconsciously think about what I've just done. 

How did I feel?

Sometimes if I've not been able to train for a while (be it due to work, money or whatever) I can get very frustrated at myself because I feel tight, off balance, slow picking up choreography, unfit etc. On the other hand, after the exact same situation I can be pleasantly surprised at the opposite outcome. 

What was I thinking?

Was I enjoying the class? Was I comparing myself to the people around me? Did I like the music? Was I clock watching? Did I respond well to the teacher? 

"This class is awesome. I'm way sharper than that girl in the blue. Where can I download this song? Oh no, there's only 5 minutes left. This teacher is so talented."

"This choreography is terrible. I look so out of shape. This music is so uninspiring. Wow, is there still half an hour left? This teacher has no idea what he's talking about."

Did anything unexpected happen?

It may be that I learnt a new move or I simply whacked out a triple pirouette on the left. A couple of times I've been approached after a class about potential work or castings and on other occasions I've bumped into very influential or famous people. 

What was my mood?

A couple of weeks ago I was feeling quite tired and was really pushing it for time. I was in two minds 1) I can leg it, be 5 minutes late and go to class 2) I can relax, take my time and meet my friend for coffee. I went to class and thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt elated by doing some different choreography, I felt challenged enough to get the brain going and still felt like I danced well and achieved something. I was so glad I went and was on a high then for the rest of the day. 

Teaching: Evaluation

Teaching is not an easy job by any means and in something like dance, I think it can be even tricker. Particularly if you are teaching across a range of academic and vocational establishments, as well as age ranges etc. 

What did you think went well?

There are so many things to consider. The difficulty level, the music, the duration of the class, the range in exercises, the space, the input from the students, teaching methods. Think of all these components and then realise that there is no formula. What goes well for one age group, one school, one individual - chances are won't go well on another. It may be that your first class picks it up really well, the second doesn't but they interpret it well. 

What worked?

I have not always been the best with patience. I have high expectations of myself and am lucky that I pick things up quickly. This however, can in turn make me rather impatient. I don't like to shout and don't feel this is the answer in order to control a group of young students anyway. When working for a company that delivers dance workshops based on literature the schools are studying, I found a technique that has been an absolute god send ever since. If a class is getting too noisy you clap a rhythm and have them repeat it back to you. Sounds so simple right? It catches their attention, regains their focus and in turn settles them down - amazing! Introduce this at the start of the lesson so they understand what it means when it happens and 'ta-da'. Works (nearly) every time.

Did you learn or discover anything?

I think the main discovery as a teacher is that you have to be very responsive, vigilant and adaptable. Children are amazing and as a teacher, you are always learning. I discovered that 'high school musical' wasn't considered cool anymore! Since when? Haha. You can learn new movements by workshopping with students who have different skills and talents to what you have and by observing them explore individually. You may discover that some students work better to counts for example and some to lyrics. As a teacher you realise that you have the ability and the amazing powers to inspire and provide joy on a daily basis. You even have the potential to change someone's life, but witnessing precious moments like these in turn change yours. 



Did you notice anything to avoid?

I noticed that one class in particular didn't respond well to combinations that were too challenging. I avoided inputting more than 1 or 2 new steps into a new routine. I also used to teach a 'dancersize' class in a gym and focussed on different styles each week. They absolutely loved line dancing and street dance. I thought it would be fun to do some rock and roll one week. The adults definitely felt uncomfortable working in pairs and it was obvious they felt more comfortable exercising alone. Safe to say I avoided that from then on!

Media - photos/videos

As well as the above examples, I've found that the use of 'media' is extremely effective when journaling. The ability to take photos of positions and spacing and record videos of routines, proved very useful when fulfilling my role as a swing. They are also beneficial when working on pieces of choreography or analysing my own training and skills. 

I also used photography and images as a way of keeping a food diary. This when I was studying nutrition and being cautious of what I was or wasn't eating. I'd take pictures of recipes and meals so I could compare other people's diets to my own, make alterations, become inspired. I used them to help gage what I could add into my diet or substitute for things with a higher nutritional content or increased benefits.


Poached eggs and avocado on multi seed crisp breads and topped with mixed seeds


Sweet chilli salmon fillet with brown rice noodles, tender stem broccoli & feta cheese


My super healthy banana loaf (no refined sugar or butter)




My reflective experience 

'"Journal writing is an increasingly common technique in education, personal and professional development."

"There is depth and quality of reflection in learning journals."

(Moon.)


I find Schon's differention of 'Reflecting in action' and 'Reflection on action' a really interesting topic. I also find Kottcamps perception of these interesting. His belief of the former being more difficult is surely down to the individual and to the profession, no? One of the enquiries that I have formed so far from reader 2 is: 

what does it take to be a good swing? 

"The swing may have the entire male or female (or, in some cases, both) ensemble’s tracks neatly cataloged in their heads, not knowing what role they may be required to perform."

"Arguably, the swing is the most versatile, flexible and integral performer to any show."

(http://broadwayblack.com/author/nicole-johnson/)

In turn, dancers and especially swings, have to be very good at reflecting in action. 'Diagrams' and 'description' are examples of journaling pre show but it is also essential to be on the ball and adapt or solve problems in the moment. Once the performance is over its effectively too late. Don't get me wrong, there's always room for improvement as we move forward with following performances and everyone does make mistakes - it's live theatre. As I said earlier, as a swing myself I do make notes post show of any errors I can rectify in the form of 'lists'. However, if I wasn't as good at reflecting in action, there'd certainly be more car crashes on stage - particularly with my current job involving so many props to work with as well as children, animals etc.

Reflection in action is also a huge must for a teacher. You can plan as much as you want and spend hours evaluating afterwards but if a lesson isn't working, you must be able to adapt to the current situation so that you retain the focus of your students and allow them to still learn something from the session.







No comments:

Post a Comment