Professional dancer and passionate teacher from South Yorkshire!

Friday 18 March 2016

New Chapter!

It's that time! Last leg of the tour coming up so what do we performers need to do? Get that repertoire sorted, update the CV and organise a fresh set of headshots should you require them! Just thought I'd share my recent shoot with you by 'Greg Veit Photogrphy'. (You can view his work and information at: http://www.gregveit.com) It can be really hard selecting the vital 2 out of hundreds and hundreds. After a while they all become a blur so it's really useful to get the opinions of others.
After my shoot, I posted a selection to my Facebook page as well as sending the gallery to my agent for their advice. This was really helpful as friends and family were able to comment on and like their favourites. It's really interesting to see which photos draw the eye of different people. Were the most popular ones the ones I expected to be? Some yes, some no.
Ideally you should select contrasting images that show personality and are of true likeness to yourself. The aim is for your headshot to draw the attention from a huge pile of performers pictures and for it to be suited to your castability of course. Each viewer is different and what catches one persons eye will be different to the next.
Most people tend to select photographers because they've come highly recommended and they like their portfolio. It is often thought that 'you get what you pay for' but some of these can be very expensive.

What do you think are key qualities to a set of headshots?

Hair: varying styles, minimal product, shape, clean, colour
Make up: minimal, fresh, even, colour
Expression: show individual personality, different character choices, natural, relaxed
Clothing: colours, textures, necklines, characters
Lights: background, colour, brightness, reflection, shadows
Angles: bone structure, give idea of body shape, show individuality i.e. Beauty spots

*all of the above help towards a striking, complimentary and eye catching photo

What do you think makes a good photoshoot/photographer?

Advice before hand: clothing, make up, directions, getting enough sleep, water etc
Getting to know one another: purpose of photos, personality, career aims
Feel relaxed: cup of tea, conversation, test shots, studio temperature, music
Provide scenarios: natural expressions, varying expression, prevent 'rabbit in headlight' look
Time management: length of session, time in different outfits, not feeling rushed or vice versa

How does an actors headshot differ to a dancers, differ to a corporate etc?

As an actor you'd want a very natural image where as a dancer can sometimes afford a touch more make up - this due to the nature of the work. I think it can often be more essential as a dancer to give an idea of body shape; this by showing the neck line and shoulders by wearing the hair up for example or styling a vest top. It is important for actors to display a true image of their casting age and character in the form of varying expressions. As a corporate professional I imagine you'd want to display a certain imagine in terms of the clothes you wear, your stance and your face. What do you think???


I've had a few photo shoots done previously and 2 of the photographers I chose were purely down to recommendation. In my third year at performing arts college I went with Nicholas Dawkes. As part of this session I had body shots. He asked who my favourite music artists were and how I felt when listening to them. Having Beyoncé playing in the background of a shoot when I was wearing heels and a leather jacket made me feel really empowered and this then came across in the photos. He also used a puppet behind the camera for some of the head shots in order to make me smile and laugh more naturally. I found these methods very useful, particularly with it being my first proper head shot & body shot session.
Another photographer I went with after working on a couple of jobs was a guy called Nick James. He really got to know me at the start of the session so that he could capture my personality and tailor the photos to my casting and career choices. Having an initial chat and a cup of tea made me feel extremely relaxed and definitely settled the nerves before a shoot. He created scenarios and spiked
personal memories in order to get varying expressions and looks that were true and real, particularly
through the eyes.

So, what made me choose 'Greg Veit Photography'? After having a bit of a hair mishap and being on tour, my requirements were to get 1 or 2 photos that showed my hair in its current colour and at speed. After browsing 'The Hustle' page on Facebook (a page for performers posting auditions, work, photographers, lessons, agencies, accommodation etc) I found an Easter deal with Greg. It was a quick 45 minute session for an extremely reasonable price. I happened to be in Ayelesbury with the show so had convenient access to London and he also had suitable availability - perfect. I knew no one that had been to him previously and hadn't heard anything much about him as a photographer so you could say it was a risk. However, it's like anything and any profession. How do you know if you like something if you don't try it? How can people expand their business or increase their experience if no one gives them a chance? Saying this, I am very happy with my photos and am majorly looking forward to seeing my choices after editing! Everyone has said how much they love the images and various colleagues have said that they too would like to book in with them - how amazing is that? Due to me taking a small risk, I have come out with wonderful photos and helped a fellow, self employed entrepreneur.






 

















I am still in the process of selecting my top 2 so please do comment with your opinions if you  wish! I'd appreciate any feedback or thoughts and thank you in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment