Professional dancer and passionate teacher from South Yorkshire!

Wednesday 2 March 2016

'Coffee shop' Skype session: March

On Tuesday the 1st of March, I got involved in my first 'coffee shop', Skype session. It was hugely beneficial, even just to continually familiarise myself with it as a means of calling and group communication. Talking to students who are further along the course than me was also very useful. It gave me reassurance to hear that having questions and being unsure is actually ok, that's how we learn. 

Online privacy 
I found their advice on part one of the first module interesting, this regarding identity and confidentiality with online profiles. I googled my name after their suggestion as an experiment, to see what came up online and if I was happy with the information. I was glad to see my Instagram account appeared as private access only. However there were a few pictures when I clicked on Google Images that made me wonder, 'how did that get there?' When I was touring at a particular venue, a very sweet man greeted me at the stage door with a sketch he'd done as a gift. This of a photo he'd found on the Internet that I'd had taken 6 years ago. Although I was extremely grateful, it did make me a little nervous as to how he'd got hold of the picture and what others may be available for viewing and downloading. It has certainly made me more aware when posting pictures and has instigated my research into the privacy settings on my other personal accounts. I think it was Jess who mentioned how she as a teacher, often alters her full name on social media platforms and doesn't always display a profile picture. It's important to realise that anything you post can be seen by potential employers and clients, and you should always present yourself as you would desire to be seen in a professional light. 

Taking action
We also discussed the action of suggested tasks. Some members of the course find it helpful to complete them in order to give theirselves a structure and time frame. Others had contrasting opinions saying that they did tasks in order of importance and personal interest or benefits. So far, I've found that chronological order is the best way for me but I can allow myself to deviate or go off path should there be a task that sparks further exploration for example. When moving on to topics related to module 2, the importance of logging useful conversation and comments for professional enquiry was highlighted. Post Skype session, I instantly went back to screen shot any useful interaction I've had up to now on my peers blogs etc so I retain any valuable evidence and quotations. 

Web 1.0 or Web 2.0?
A personal question I asked was related to interactive television and Web 2.0 mediums. It was an enquiry that I'd developed as I further explored the reader 1 material. We all seemed to agree that TV was a bit of a grey area when it comes to defining it as a Web 1.0 or 2.0 platform and I think this is because the evolution of smart TVs etc is still progressing and still very current. With the increase of people watching television on their laptops or smart devices, the need for TV sets seems to be declining. However, with the introducing of smart TVs, consumers can still have the access they do via the Internet but on a much larger viewing platform. It would be intriguing to do a survey to ask how many people own a smart TV and how many people use their laptop to watch programmes; then to go back and review this data in a years time. 

Drama in education
One of the girls on module 2 is looking at how the use of drama techniques aids and supports students within their learning. These days we are well aware of how many people benefit more from physical learning i.e. Getting up and doing. It requires active thinking by responding in the moment and teaches social skills such as team work and interaction. I think it would be interesting to look at the uses across the different age ranges. My mum is a nursery and reception teacher and she has said many a time how great the children respond to drama activities and music. At such a young age, interpersonal skills are of massive importance - even with the basic concept of 'sharing' for example with equipment, toys, activities. Looking at how drama benefits us as young adults intrigues me - I tend to find that as students get older they lose their confidence and become easily embarrassed in today's society. Drama workshops help people loose their insecurities, become comfortable in their own skin and encourages the taking of risks. "We learn from our mistakes." Putting yourself out there and getting it wrong is a massive part of learning.


Take a look at the others girls' blogs from this Skype session:





No comments:

Post a Comment